We finally finished our basement! Well, almost. Enough to start decorating! I wanted the space to have a bright fun, casual feel. I found some fabric that I fell in love with at my local Home Fabrics. It had a great thick texture with a wide weave. It had all the fun bright colors I was looking for with a bit of tropical to go with my ever love affair with the ocean. It was perfect. And it had great flowers, leaves and such that would be easy to cut out. AND at less than $8 a yard, it was a steal (I heart Home Fabrics). This would work perfect for my applique pillows.
I continued my shopping experience at Home Fabrics and found two soft casual striped cottons that matched, but didn’t match. They would be the perfect background for the applique. The striped fabrics were a mere $3 a yard, YES!
I ran over to JoAnn’s and purchased this Heat n Bond Ultrahold. I think with a coupon it was less than $2.
Back at home I cut out a few of the flowers. I laid them down upside down on my ironing board then covered them with the Heat n Bond. I followed the instructions on the packet and carefully pressed the iron down where the flowers were. unfortunately I melted some of the Heat n Bond to my iron, but after a few swipes of the hot iron on the pad, it melted away.
Then I cut out each flower carefully not leaving any of the brown background. I peeled off the backing from the Heat n Bond and ironed it to my desired location on the pillow sham I threw together. I turned the pillow sham inside out and pressed the iron from the other side (the stripe fabric is thinner than the floral, so to get the heat closest to the “glue” this helped. I held it there for 10 seconds and put my iron on high (much longer than the Heat n Bond instructions stated).
Then after I bonded each of the appliques in place I ran over them with a quick and messy stitch about 1/4 of an inch in from the edges.
I chose a tan thread and didn’t bother switching it for the different colored flowers and leaves. Remember, I was going for a beachy casual feel. This stitch is NOT necessary, I just wanted the look of hard work and sewing, hoping that I might fool others into to thinking I pinned and meticulously worked on this pillow for hours.
After they were all made I roughed up all of the edges fraying them as much as possible. Then, a quick toss in the washer and dryer and they were ready! Soft, cozy, and smelling fresh.
For a little extra embellishment on a lumbar pillow, I added a flange which I sewed with the sewing machine. Then with some contrasting embroidery thread I did a quick hand stitch all the way around. Again, adding texture to the casual look.
I really loved this hot pink striped pillow before, but adding just a bit of femininity and whimsy really helps it pop.
This technique is so simple and easy. Each pillow couldn’t have taken more than 10 minutes to add the applique from start to finish, but really makes the pillows a fun addition to our basement.